Frequently Asked Questions

At Benn, Haro & Isaacs, our mission is to supply you with the answers you need to the tough questions you might be facing. The following are a few frequently asked questions* that may point you in the right direction. Our team is available to answer any questions you may have at 954-324-COMP (2667).

What should a Workers’ Compensation lawyer do?

Your lawyer should assist you in the filing of your Petition(s) for Benefits with the Office of the Judges of Compensation Claims, and ensure that you receive all of the benefits to which you are entitled under the Florida Workers’ Compensation Act.

Can my Workers’ Compensation case be settled for cash?

Yes, the law allows for the voluntary settlement of workers’ compensation benefits through the payment of a lump-sum of cash if the parties mutually agree to do so, and all statutory requirements to do so are met.

How soon should I report the accident?

The incident should be reported to your employer as soon as possible. If you have been injured on the job, you will need to report this within 30 days of the incident, or you may lose your right to receive workers’ compensation benefits.

How do you decide whether you will take my case?

At Benn, Haro & Isaacs, we will review your workers’ comp or wrongful termination case at no cost. If we believe we can be of service to you, we will meet with you and review the merits of your case. However, until a contract is signed, no attorney-client relationship will be established.

How do my legal fees and expenses get paid?

We work on a contingency basis. As such, there are no fees or expenses unless we either win or settle your case.

Can my employer fire me for applying for workers’ compensation?

In Florida, the law specifically states that no employer shall discharge, threaten to discharge, intimidate, or coerce any employee by reason of such employee’s valid claim for compensation or attempt to claim compensation under the Workers’ Compensation Law.

How do I know whether I have a workers’ compensation claim?

Consult with an attorney who concentrates their practice in workers’ compensation law. Benn, Haro & Isaacs, PLLC represent clients throughout Florida and offers free consultations.

*The foregoing observations are made available for educational and informational purposes only, are not guaranteed to be up-to-date and are not legal advice. Receipt of this information does not constitute a lawyer-client relationship, and no one should act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.